First check out the Material Archive post….and get started collecting! Then look at the required materials list for your ‘art kit’. You can choose to assemble these materials yourself, or take advantage of the convenience and savings of having the AU Bookstore do it for you. The Art Kit can be purchased online at the AU Bookstore. (To do this, go directly to the bookstore http://alfred.bncollege.com/ or click on ‘text’ while in BannerWeb!
Tool + Material Kits 2020-2021
The Alfred University School of Art + Design Foundations Program requires that you purchase the following list of supplies. For convenience, the bookstore offers the kit at a discounted price, but if you already have many of these items, you are welcome to assemble the materials yourself. In addition, please read the Technology Guide for additional requirements including a computer, camera and other materials.
- At least 2 re-usable cloth face masks
- 2 bottles of hand sanitizer ( at least 8 oz each)
- Drawing Pencils: 2 medium 4B, 1 4H Hard
- 2 Ebony Pencils
- 2 9-B graphite sticks
- Oil pastels 1 pack of 24
- Conte crayons (4 pack-multi color)
- 2 Bulldog clips
- Erasers: 2 kneaded, 1 white
- watercolor paper pad
- Rectangular Plastic Palette for use with Gouache
- An assorted pack of 7 brushes. Try to get a variety of flat and round brushes and a variety of hair types eg, soft water color, bristle etc.
- 1 bamboo brush size 6
- Box cutter or Utility knife
- Small cutting mat (12”x18”)
- X-acto knife with extra blades ( size #2 blades)
- Bottle of India ink ( at least 4 oz)
- Pencil sharpener
- 2 rolls of blue painters tape ( 3/4 inch – 1 inch size)
- 18 inch cork backed metal ruler
- Hot glue gun with a pack of extra glue sticks
- UHU glue stick
- 1 flash drive ( at least 16GB)
- 2 Disposable quart containers for water ( for use with wet media)
- Sketch book, at least 8 1/2 x 11 size ( try to get one that is side spiral bound so it can lay flat)
- Double-sided scotch tape
- Masonite drawing board large enough to fit a 22 x 30 inch sheet of paper
- 18”x24”Pad of paper
Thanks to PropMedic on deviant art for the image! ( See at http://propmedic.deviantart.com/art/TF2-Papercraft-RED-Toolbox-77759668)
Before you settle in to Spring Break, take a moment to review and gather the materials you will need for your next workshops. Check the info posted in the beginning of the semester if you need a reminder as to what section you are in!
(See separate posts for the makeLAB and coLAB)
For Profs. Ted and Andrew’s section of seeLAB you will need to refill your KIT! Please make sure to have all the listed items. Wondering what is in the kit? Click here ART KIT.
Please bring the following back from break. Note that some of these materials are already part of the materials you need to replenish in your art kit or may cross over with other course lists.
- 1 set of acrylic paints (5-10 colors?)
- 1 set of paint brushes
- 4 packs of hot glue sticks
- 1 glue gun
- 1 box cutter+1 set of blades
- 1 xacto knife+2 sets of blades
- 1 pack of 100 sheets inkjet photo paper
- sketch book
- 10 rolls of masking tape
This LAB class will explore issues of photographic images and the construction of a reality as it applies to those images. To that end students in this class will be engaging in the production of photographic images and the construction of the subject matter to be photographed. In addition to the above listed materials we ask that you bring the following back with you to campus:
- 5 photographs from home: choose portraits of yourself, family members, friends. Try to choose images that span a length of time, i.e. some historical photos, some contemporary photos. If you feel uncomfortable bringing in the original a good quality reproduction is acceptable.
- A camera – can be any of the following: Point and shoot digital, Digital SLR, iPhone (or any cell phone with a good quality camera).
- USB download cable
- Magazines for collaging
- Fabric for making sets ( can be any scrap fabric, old clothes etc you have at home)